Today is Friday….the last Friday of Christmas break…and the first Friday of 2018!!! The semester starts on Monday! I’m excited actually. Well, law school is not fun at all so I’m not actually excited about that. What I am excited about is the fact that I believe that I’ve had enough downtime, I’ve met with mentors and re-strategized, and I just feel like I’m going to have a more effective semester.
The first semester was cool! I had moments where I was really down about a grade that I thought would’ve been higher. But I’ve also really really surprised myself and gotten grades that I didn’t think were going to be mine. All tests and no homework. A few writing and research assignments here and there, but ultimately it’s the tests that determine your grade. Midterm and Final. That’s it……
With the coming semester I have all of the same classes: Torts, Property, Contracts, Civil Procedure…with one new class, Criminal Law. I still have my legal writing class as well. So in total I have 6 classes. This semester is a tad better because I don’t have classes every.single.day. AMEN!!! I have classes MWF from 8-5 and no classes on Tuesday and Thursday. More time to work out! More time to do my homework! More time to regroup! God knew I needed it.
As always I have some things that I learned for going into this next semester:
- Study groups don’t work for me the way they work for everyone else. I have learned that I need to study on my own thoroughly first before I come into a group.
- I am someone who is easily distracted. With that being said I have come to terms with the fact that I may have to delete social media apps from my phone. The time I can spend scrolling through Twitter is time I could have spent reading.
- I think I did a good job of balancing school and leisure. This year I’m going to try and make my leisure activities less time-consuming (like traveling takes lots of time….I love doing it but, I’m interested in the results).
- After a test WALK AWAY. FAST. Lol, honestly I find my nosey self initiating the conversation but, NO MORE. Lol, that is the worst anxiety you’ll feel if you start comparing answers with people after an exam. Save yourself.
- This semester I want to give each class equal attention. I found myself letting some classes go without reading at the hand of reading for another one that I felt was more important. In the long run everything is important.
Thanks for reading y’all! I pray everyone has a great semester back. A smooth transition back in to work. And an amazing start to the new year!<3